The fall season offers the perfect time to prepare for the cold weather ahead. As fall ushers in, here are the most important chores you’ll want to check off your to-do list.
- Prepare yard equipment – Drain the gas from your lawn mower and walk through the winterizing tips we provide here. Gas up and ready your leaf blower to help with fall yard maintenance.
- Prepare your deck for winter – Clean your deck and furniture for storage. After storing your furniture, treat your deck if it needs it. A few hours of work could add years to the life of your deck. If you don’t use your gas grill in the winter then be sure to cover it.
- Clean your gutters – After the leaves fall, clean all debris from gutters and inspect the joints. Tighten and repair your brackets. Clogged gutters can lead to ice dams.
- Caulk – Apply caulking around windows and door frames to prevent heat from escaping and water from getting in. Water can cause cracks and mold. In some cases, you may need to replace the wood.
- Aerate your lawn; it will allow moisture and nutrients to get into the roots. When you’re done, spread fertilizer then grass seed. Work with HLC to determine the program that’s right for your lawn.
- Winterize faucets and sprinklers to prevent freezing and bursting.
- Check carbon monoxide detectors and smoke alarms and put in fresh batteries or purchase new units if needed.
- Consider upgrading your doors and windows. Upgrading single-paned windows to double-paned will provide insulation for your home. Double-paned windows are energy efficient, withstand cold temperatures, and pay back your investment via what you save on utility bills. You might also consider weatherproofing your doors and windows with weather stripping.
- Upgrade your light bulbs to energy-efficient LEDs – Energy efficient bulbs will save you money in the long run. And don’t forget your outdoor lighting. As the days grow shorter, exterior lighting becomes more important. Consider using timers that turn the lights on automatically at dusk, or motion sensors that detect movement to ensure your family and guests can see properly as they come and go.
- Paint a room – Sure you can paint interior rooms almost any time but why not paint them now to a fresh hue that’ll help you beat the winter blues. Cool fall days are the perfect time to leave your windows open for optimal ventilation.
We have many of the products listed above available for purchase at Hingham Lumber. You can see them highlighted in brown. More importantly, we have staff standing by that are well versed in all of these products and tasks. We invite you to stop in and visit us at 165 Chief Justice Cushing Highway (Route 3A) Cohasset from 7am-5pm Monday through Saturday. We’d love the opportunity to talk with you about your project. Many of our staff have been working at HLC for several years and can really offer a depth of knowledge you won’t find elsewhere. Our expertise goes well beyond product knowledge to include time-tested tips, DIY ideas and advice honed over years of hands-on experience.
We hope to see you in the aisles soon!
~The Staff at HLC